Excellent entry on lifehack.org.
We all argue. It’s just part of life. Try to avoid it if you can. But if you do it, you might as well do it right. These points tell you exactly how.
* Never Accuse your opponent of being wrong.
* If you realize you made a mistake admit it immediately.
* Be pleasant.
* Get your opponent saying “yes” It is a proven technique.
* Let them talk. “Enough rope,” “digging a hole” all that.
* Be receptive. We’ve already established we could be wrong.
* Make it their idea.
* Play on their wants.
* Plea for righteousness. Every body wants “whats right.”
* Back it up. If you’ve got data, use it.
* Issue a challenge. Men especially will fall for this.
* Be a Cool Hand Luke. Arguments can get emotional. It is to your advantage to be the calm rational one.
ReferenceReg Adkins, elementaltruths.blogspot.com
12 Keys To Winning an Argument, lifehack.org entry